School District / Company: Columbus City Schools
Phone: (614) 365-5000
Street Address : 270 East State Streeet
City : Columbus
State : Ohio
Zip Code : 43215
Position Title: General Counsel
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Administrator - Executive Director
MM : 1
DD : 2
YYYY : 2019
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides direct, professional legal counsel and representation for the Superintendent, Board of Education, Treasurer, Internal Auditor, and others on school District matters. Assists the Board and Superintendent in the legal performance of their duties and the fair and just discharge of their obligations to students, staff and Board authorized representatives. Oversees the activities of the District’s Hearing and Compliance Offices. Manages the portfolio and budget of outside counsel engaged by the District to address specialized legal issues. Position reports to the Superintendent/CEO.
• Leads the Office of Legal Services and serves as chief legal advisor for the Board of Education, Superintendent and staff of the Columbus City Schools (“District”) in all matters related to the organization’s operations, programs and activities;
• Provides legal opinions, interpretations, advice, counsel and recommendations to the Board, Superintendent and staff relating to the operations, programs and activities of the District;
• Manages internal and outside counsel; providing representation of the Board, District, Superintendent and staff in litigation in order to represent most effectively the interests of the District as those interests are interpreted by the Board and/or the Superintendent;
• Evaluates the merits of court cases, regulatory inquiries, and other legal actions filed against or on behalf of the District (“Actions”) and identifies and assigns representation of the District in such Actions to appropriate counsel; works with the Superintendent and appropriate staff of the District to define strategic positions and/or defenses; works with the Board of Education to inform and advise on legal actions and recommend settlements for disputes where warranted;
• Functions as an integral partner and provides legal support to the Superintendent’s senior leadership team.
• Collaborates with administrators and staff, stakeholders and external legal counsel, as appropriate, to identify and mitigate against legal risks, comply with state and federal laws, rules and regulations, and adopt and improve policies, procedures and practices;
• Identifies District legal needs and develops training programs and activities for the purpose of keeping administrators informed of the law as it relates to their work;
• Ensures compliance with federal FERPA laws, the Ohio Student Privacy law, the Ohio Public Records Act and the Ohio Open Meetings Act; and other federal, state, or local laws relevant to the District
• Provides legal assistance in the drafting of contracts, legal documents, rules and regulations, policies, resolutions, applications, and all other legal or quasi-legal papers;
• Provides advice and legal assistance in the drafting of state legislation proposed by the District for presentation to the state legislature or District advocates;
• Participates in labor contract negotiations with the District’s certified bargaining units; advises the Board in all staff contract negotiations;
• Attends meetings of the Board as required;
• Oversees the work performed and the budget for outside counsel retained to represent the Board and District;
• Oversees the activities of the District’s Compliance and Hearing Offices;
• Directs, manages, and evaluates the work of the Office of Legal Services staff;
• Prepares and administers departmental budget(s); ensures expenditures are within the approved budget(s).
• Maintains current knowledge of federal, state, and local laws impacting the District’s operations and management. Recommend and assist with implementing changes to operations as necessary to comply with federal, state, and local laws.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience Required: JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
• Juris Doctorate in Law and current State of Ohio law license.
• Seven (7) or more years of related public sector legal experience.
• Legal experience with a large urban K-12 school district, including supervisory responsibilities for internal staff and outside counsel is preferred;
• Experience with selecting and managing a panel of outside counsel plus experience in representing or managing litigation before courts and administrative bodies.
• Knowledge of Federal, State and local laws and regulations impacting Ohio school district operations and management.
• Knowledge of the negotiation and administration of labor contracts.
• Experience working with and advising a Board or senior executives of a school system or large enterprise, including an understanding of large organization processes, functions, and environments.
• Ability to work independently with small staff and an ability to work collaboratively with the Superintendent’s senior staff in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated supervisory skills to effectively manage the daily operations and administration of assigned function(s).
• Interpersonal skills necessary to represent, collaborate with others, and act as an official spokesperson for the District.
• Analytical and critical thinking abilities to evaluate complex legal issues and develop effective solutions.
• Forward thinking skills to anticipate risks and issues that may lead to legal issues.
• Written and computer skills necessary to maintain or oversee management of various departmental records, documents and reports.
• Experience with development of an annual budget and ability to monitor expenditures.
• Confidence and determination to represent the best interests of the District, Board, and staff.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively serve as a leader and member of a team.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the education, experience, skill and ability levels typically needed to successfully perform the essential duties contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as individual absolute standards, but considered holistically with other position-related criteria.
Wage or Salary: $110,234.00 - $153,103.00 Annually
Approximate Work Hours or Days: 270 Days
How to Apply: TIMELINE:
To ensure consideration for first review of resumes, please submit all requested information by November 19, 2018. Position will remain posted until filled.
Apply at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ccsoh
DIRECTIONS FOR APPLYING:
Applicants should complete an electronic application and upload the following: (1) Cover letter (2) Resume (3) Three professional reference letters (4) Credentials
Columbus City Schools is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce. Minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Columbus City Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.
Posting End Date:
MM : 11
DD : 19
YYYY : 2018