School District / Company: Columbus City Schools
Street Address : 270 East State Street
Address Line 2 : 270 East State Street
City : Columbus
State : Ohio
Zip Code : 43215
Position Title: Chief Academic Officer
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Administrator
MM : 8
DD : 1
YYYY : 2019
Duties: POSITION SUMMARY:
The Chief Academic Officer (CAO) is directly responsible to the Superintendent and has primary authority and accountability for the District’s overall academic performance and support services. The CAO drives the educational performance of the District, providing leadership, vision, and strategic direction for the District’s curriculum, instruction, assessment, and school improvement initiatives. The CAO has direct supervision of a team that includes curriculum development, special education, student assistance and intervention, health and community services, grants, and special programs. Additionally, the CAO is a primary contributor to building the District’s strategic plan, and assists with developing policies and procedures, attends all Board meetings, conducts studies, and makes recommendations to the Superintendent and the Board. The CAO works with the Superintendent, the Chief of Transformation and Leadership, Chief Accountability Officer, and the District’s Executive Leadership Team to fulfill the District Mission that each student is highly educated, prepared for leadership and service, and empowered for success as a citizen in a global community.
• Provides strategic leadership in partnership with the Superintendent, the Chief of Transformation and Leadership and the Board, to create the vision for the District, develop the strategic plan to achieve the vision, and drive the execution of the Board’s policies.
• Ensures compliance with district goals and objectives, administrative procedures, board policy, state and federal law and the directives of the Superintendent in carrying out the responsibilities of academic services and student support departments.
• Serves as a member of the Superintendent’s Cabinet and provides regular briefings to the Superintendent and Board of Education on critical academic issues.
• Provides educational and managerial leadership that builds and supports a high performance education team – inspiring, integrating, and aligning the academic work of the District.
• Directs the development, implementation, and monitoring of a comprehensive and aligned curriculum management system based on federal and state mandates and district policy that will enable all students, PreK-12, to meet or exceed state and district performance measures.
• In collaboration with the Chief of Transformation and Leadership, oversees the development, implementation, and evaluation of the District’s continuous improvement plan and designs systems to link and monitor the work of each school to align with the plan through the All School Improvement Plan process.
• Drives the design, delivery, monitoring, and evaluation of district-wide intervention systems, including compensatory programs, that provide research-based means to allow as many students as possible to meet and/or exceed the standards and reduce and close the gap in achievement between identified student populations and groups.
• Assists in the development and implementation of a comprehensive feedback and assessment system to provide clear and useful data to drive decision-making in student learning, staff development, and improvement of teaching.
• Attends all Board meetings and monitors the work of the Board panels; serves as a member of the cabinet and executive staff; and represents the Superintendent internally and externally as needed.
• Communicates and engages the community, parents, and business in active partnerships that support and enhance the academic goals of the District.
• Conducts administrative or educational studies to evaluate effectiveness and efficiency of teaching and learning models, analyzes data, and provides recommendations to the Superintendent and/or the Board.
• Assists the Superintendent and Board of Education in the development of policies and procedural guidelines that support the design, delivery, monitoring, and evaluation of curriculum and instruction.
• Directs operations of all areas assigned to Academic Achievement and Support Services, including preparation of budgets, development of programming, and all other matters relating to operating efficiently and effectively.
• Assures the assignment, evaluation, and training of staff for the adequate delivery of curriculum and instruction.
• Leads the collaboration with departments across the District to implement operational policies and business processes that enable schools to maintain environments that support and maximize student achievement and comply with all federal and state regulations and Board policies.
• Connects and networks with other, similar school districts to share best practices, and to continually upgrade and improve academic and support services.
• Stays current on educational issues and trends in education and preK-12 academic practices, particularly in urban settings.
• Performs other duties of a same or similar nature as assigned.
Experience Required: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• Possession of a master’s degree in Education, Public Administration, or a related field.
• Seven years of progressively responsible administrative experience in an educational institution.
• Possession of a PhD in Education, Public Administration, or a related field may substitute for 2 years of the required experience.
• Doctorate in Education, Public Administration, or a related field.
• Education administration experience in an urban school district.
• Superintendent license or demonstrated interest in pursuing Superintendent license.
• Demonstrated success leading strategic educational initiatives that result in measurable improved student achievement.
• Proven record of championing continuous learning and professional growth, and demonstrated success of developing and retaining high performers.
• Personal demonstration of continuous learning.
• Experience dealing with diverse and economically disadvantaged populations.
• Demonstrated ability to lead the design, implementation, and management of large scale systems.
• Strong knowledge of curriculum design, instructional practices, school operations and management, and leadership development.
• Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex roles and responsibilities.
• Excellent team building and interpersonal skills.
• General knowledge of Ohio educational policies, procedures, and school funding.
• General knowledge of urban educational challenges.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including effective presentation skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge and successful implementation of research-based best practices for curriculum, instruction, assessment and staff development.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage limited resources to support strategic organizational goal attainment.
Wage or Salary: $137,108.00
Approximate Work Hours or Days: 5 days a week
How to Apply: To apply, go to www.ccsoh.us, Jobs / Employment Opportunities / Administrative Positions / Business Administrative Opportunities
Posting End Date:
MM : 7
DD : 30
YYYY : 2019